UN CRPD General Comments are available in Georgian
On the initiative of the Public Defender of Georgia and with the support of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the General Comments of the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities will be available in Georgian from November 5, 2019.
The Public Defender hopes that availability of the aforementioned international documents in Georgian will significantly help persons with disabilities and their representative organizations in their daily activities, to actively use the definitions and approaches of the Committee in order to improve the quality of protection of the rights of persons with disabilities in the country.
The General Comments are documents adopted by the UN contracting authorities that clarify specific provisions of an international treaty.
The UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities has already issued 7 General Comments since 2014, explaining the following articles of the 2006 Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities:
- Article 12: Equal recognition before the law - General Comment N1
- Article 9: Accessibility - General Comment N2
- Article 6: Women and girls with disabilities - General Comment N3
- Article 24: Right to inclusive education - General Comment N4
- Article 19: Right to independent living - General Comment N5
- Article 5: Equality and non-discrimination - General Comment N6
- Articles 4.3. And 33.3: Participation of persons with disabilities in the implementation and monitoring of the Convention - General Comment N7.