Public Defender’s Office Starts Reception of Applications/Complaints relating to Access to Human Rights Education
In accordance with the Organic Law of Georgia on the Public Defender of Georgia, the Public Defender shall carry out educational activities in the field of human rights and freedoms. the Human Rights Education Department is functioning in the Public Defender’s Office for the purpose of exercising the mentioned educational mandate and the main function of the Department is to promote education and integrate human rights issues with informal and formal education. The Department also reviews complaints and applications relating to human rights education – in the fields of pre-school education, secondary education, higher education and vocational education.
The applications/complaints concern the problems relating to access to human rights education. For example:
- Cases, when human rights issues are reflected in the educational programmes (national curriculum of high schools and courses for higher education and vocational education) so that they are inconsistent with the definitions of rights according to the Constitution and international treaties
- Provisions on formal human rights education in the national legislation
- Cases, when the textbooks intended for public school students or teachers, or the educational materials of higher education institutions and vocational colleges, include texts or illustrations inconsistent with human rights principles (for example: texts and visual materials that normalize discriminatory veiws, etc.)
- Occasions when the hours allocated for citizenship education according to the national curriculum are not fully given to the subject
- Issues and content of human rights education in the training programmes for persons involved in the educational process (teachers, administration and others)
Human rights education process - incorrect interpretation of universal human rights principles during teaching any subject, cases of religious and political propaganda (indoctrination and proselytism), etc.