Presentation of Consultation Council of Monitoring of Promotion, Protection and Implementation of the UN Convention Rights of Persons with Disabilities
A presentation of Public Defenders’ Consultation Council of Monitoring of Promotion, Protection and Implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was held on 24 September 2015.
At the meeting with the council members Public Defender Ucha Nanuashvili stressed the importance of implementation of the UN Convention and proper fulfillment of the commitments undertaken by the state.
The members of council also presented their views to the audience. They talked about future plans and prospects. It was emphasized that the Consultation Council must define appropriate indicators for effective monitoring of the Convention.
The aim of the council is to assist the Public Defender in effective monitoring of implementation, promotion and protection of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, in compliance with the Convention principles.
The invited members of the council are persons with physical, mental and sensory disabilities, a representative of the Regional Organization of Persons with Disabilities, a parent/legal representative of a child with disabilities and/or psycho-social needs, and representatives of local NGOs and international organizations working in the filed of protection of the rights of persons with disabilities.
The Consultation Council members are:
- Ucha Nanuashvili - Public Defender;
- Paata Beltadze - First Deputy Public Defender;
- Natia Katsitadze - Deputy Public Defender;
- Irine Oboladze – Head of the Department of Persons with Disabilities of Public Defender's Office;
- Ekaterine Skhiladze - Head of the Department of Gender Equality of Public Defender's Office;
- Maka Stevenson - Head of the Department of Equality of Public Defender's Office;
- Nika Kvaratskhelia - Head of the Department of Prevention and Monitoring of Public Defender's Office;
- Maia Gedevanishvili – Head of the Center of Child’s Rights of Public Defender's Office;
- Ketevan Chighladze - Person with disabilities;
- Giorgi Gogatishvili - Representative of the Registered Union of Persons with Disabilities of Sachkere;
- Mariam Mikiashvili - Representative of the organization of persons with disabilities - “Mariani”;
- Lia Tabatadze - Representative of the network of organizations of persons with disabilities and parents -Movement for Changes;
- Maguli Shaghashvili - Representative of the United Nations Children's Fund;
- Nino Agdgomelashvili - Representative of the Global Initiative in Psychiatry - Tbilisi.
In the near future a competition will be announced for the selection of monitoring experts.